By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Seriously look into how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of reports: The Shaping energy of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable choice of own narratives that explores the historic, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. the various well known authors during this assortment comprise David Bergman, Louis group, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian reports, political hobbies, cultural experiences, and narratology, and someone drawn to homosexual background probably want to discover those fascinating narratives on subject matters corresponding to intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature earlier than Stonewall, transforming into up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of know-how in a small town.A Sea of news additionally comprises artistic fiction and nonfiction love tales, struggle tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a gorgeous post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 expert males and the opportunity of a kiss. for a whole record of contents, please stopover at our website at www.haworthpressinc.com.This publication provides you with numerous narratives that hide a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual publication membership in its wake
- homophobia within the place of work and using coming-out tales to augment office variety
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled by way of Mormons
- gay literary background that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White on the subject of the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a couple of woman's love for an additional lady, her lifelong buddy
- Provincetown's amazing neighborhood reaction to the AIDS epidemicA number of chapters written via the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of news takes its name from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote tackle to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny collage in 1997. This convention sparked the belief for this number of essays that learn the gay event via ancient, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will help readers to understand themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian reviews in numerous narrative kinds.
Read or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
Peasant patriarchs, aristocratic dandies, frightened bureaucrats, employees looking father-figures, and promiscuous bathhouse attendants populate this quantity. Its essays research how beliefs of manliness intersected with historic advancements, the formation of nationwide identities, and altering definitions of intimacy.
Regardless of the backlash opposed to lesbian and homosexual rights taking place in towns and states around the state, more and more companies are literally increasing protections and advantages for his or her homosexual and lesbian staff. Why this could be, and why a few firms are more and more open to inclusive rules whereas others are determinedly now not, is what Nicole C.
A ebook on Sexual identities of sailors
Within the evangelical neighborhood, various substitute psychological wellbeing and fitness treatments—deliverance/exorcism, biblical counseling, reparative treatment and lots of others—have been proposed for the therapy of mentally ailing, lady and LGBT evangelicals. This ebook lines the background of those equipment, targeting the main proponents of every healing method whereas additionally studying mainstream evangelical psychology.
- Speed Demon
- Sybil: The Glide of Her Tongue
- Toward a Female Genealogy of Transcendentalism
- Masculinity and Male Codes of Honor in Modern France
- Misogyny, Misandry and Misanthropy
Additional info for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
Donald Webster Cory is a pseudonym—a combination of Corydon and Daniel Webster. His real name was Edward Sagarin, and he was a professor of sociology at N Y U . After the war, Brandt Aymar, who had been in advertising, became the general manager and vice president of Greenberg, a small publishing house in New York owned by Jaye Greenberg, a well-known ladies' man married many Selling Gay Literature Before Stonewall 47 times. In the 1930s, Greenberg published The Twilight Men and also The Better Angel, which was the first gay book with a happy ending.
The open nightlife and carefree attitude, which prevailed in Berlin's entertainment districts, remained but a legend for most Germans. The persecution of homosexuals by the National Socialists must be seen against the background of these social and economic problems. Homosexuality was a visible part of Berlin as well as of other major cities in the Republic. Clubs, organizations, and dances all catered to homosexuals. As Friedrich-Paul von Groszheim recalls, "There wasn't much to eat. Food was always scarce, but it was a happy time.
Commandant of Auschwitz. London: Pan Books, 1959. Jellonnek, Burkhard. Homosexuelle unter dem Hakenkreuz: Die Verfolgung von Homosexuellen im Dritten Reich. Paderborn: Ferdinand Schöningh, 1990. Kersten, Felix. The Kersten Memoirs 1940-1945. New York: Macmillan Company, 1957. Klare, Rudolf. Homosexualität und Strafrecht. Hamburg: Hanseatische Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1937. Kogon, Eugen. Der SS Staat: Das System der deutschen Konzentrationslager. Munich: Kindler, 1974. ). Seminar: Gesellschaft und Homosexualität.